clear sky chart

Job 9:9

Job 9:9-10
9 He is the Maker of the Bear and Orion,
the Pleiades and the constellations of the south.
10 He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed,
miracles that cannot be counted.
NIV

Saturday, July 16, 2011

First Jupiter of the Year

Everyone is taking pictures of Jupiter, and in all honesty, I kind of miss my old friend.  Jupiter is much easier to image than Saturn- its brighter and much larger.  With all of the progress I made with Saturn in the past few months, I felt quite confident I would do a pretty decent job with Jupiter.  Therefore, I woke up at 3:30AM local time just to take a few pictures.

When I got up, there were broken, thin clouds moving in.  I didnt have time to set up until the final images just before dusk.  I took several, attempting to photograph thru the clouds with mixed results.  Just before dusk there was a big break and I was able to take this image.  Just to the left of the planet you will see Ganymede quite easily.  Unfortunately, the Great Red Spot was either not up or I was unable to resolve it, but actually, I think it was on the other side of the disk, not visible.  This image is a wee bit over exposed to show the moon.  Io was also captured in this image, however for it to be plainly visible, I would have had to overexpose more.  If you click on the image and look to the right, you MIGHT be able to see it.







Here are a few more images that I had taken.
Adjusted color settings


Lots of cloud detail here.  Ganymede off to the left.

Experimenting with color settings

Greyscale.  Ganymede on the left.
These images give me some idea as to what to expect now with the 127mm, 3X barlow and Quickcam 4000.  Seeing was about average, transparency was variable.  Not the best morning to image, but I cant complain.

0 comments:

Post a Comment