clear sky chart

Job 9:9

Job 9:9-10
9 He is the Maker of the Bear and Orion,
the Pleiades and the constellations of the south.
10 He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed,
miracles that cannot be counted.
NIV

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

M57 Color using the Orion Starshoot G3

Last night, 6/10/13 we had a short period of clear sky, so I set up the 6" Celestron Newtonian and attached the Starshoot G3 and imaged until the clouds blew in.  This is the first color image so far which I was able to take with the new camera.  The image consists of 5 frames each, through blue and red filters.  I did not have time for a set of green exposures, so I used the "Synthesize Green from Red and Blue" tool in Noel Carboni's Astronomy Tools.

I still have to work on these images.  Just like with the dslr, when I began imaging with it, the images werent great.  Although the ring looks nice, I think theres a bit too much blue, as all of  the stars are blue.  Once I get clear skies long enough to image something using all 3 colors, I think the images should improve.

The camera appears to do a decent job, really.  The stars are smaller than they would be using the dslr, especially on small objects.  I am happy with the resolution, even though the max resolution is on the order of 752 X 582 pixels. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment