clear sky chart

Job 9:9

Job 9:9-10
9 He is the Maker of the Bear and Orion,
the Pleiades and the constellations of the south.
10 He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed,
miracles that cannot be counted.
NIV

Thursday, June 27, 2013

Narrowband Imaging the Crescent Nebula

Received my Hydrogen Alpha filter yesterday and we got lucky and had a couple hours of reasonably clear sky.  Although I didnt get as many exposures as I'd liked, my first real attempt at narrowband imaging was a success.  I imaged 2 objects - the Ring Nebula (M57) and NGC 6888, the Crescent Nebula in Cygnus.  The Ha frames that I took of the ring were washed out possibly due to clouds, but the Crescent came out just fine.  

I have never before gotten this much detail on this object before.  In the past, I was able to capture the bright outline with a tiny amount of  the inner nebula.

The above image consists of only 25 minutes of H Alpha and 25 minutes of O3.  Ha was mapped to red, Oiii mapped to green and blue.  I used the Ha stack as the luminance.  This was done with my light polluted backyard, and the Oiii was taken during the last full, supermoon.

0 comments:

Post a Comment