clear sky chart

Job 9:9

Job 9:9-10
9 He is the Maker of the Bear and Orion,
the Pleiades and the constellations of the south.
10 He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed,
miracles that cannot be counted.
NIV

Saturday, June 1, 2013

Messier 51

This is not the first time I've imaged this one, but it is the first time I was able to image this deep.  Last year, 2 minute subs were my limit.  Now I can shoot 2.5 times in frame duration, and it certainly makes a big difference.

Here is 50 minutes worth of exposures:


And here is the above data plus data taken the next day. - Total of 22, 5 minute frames.


Notice the dimmer areas show up better.

I've noticed that the longer each frame is, the more detail, and the dimmer detail is captured.  The number of frames makes a difference, but not nearly as much as the exposure length.  These experiments should assist me when I begin shooting exposures at Cherry Springs next week.  Lets hope for clear skies.  As of right now, the best they are calling for is partly cloudy.

One more image, using both days but cropped in such a way to enlarge the galaxy:

This image appears to show more detail in the body of the galaxy, but the noise is more apparent in the fainter areas. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment