The lens arrived from Surplus Shed Thursday, and I went to a local surplus dealer today and bought some 5" OD aluminum tubing. I bought 48 inches, but I really only need half that. I got extra in case I mess up, which is a very good possibility.
The lens is real nice! I was surprised by the quality vs price. These lenses are an excellent deal. I got the 127mm / 700mm fl lens. I went with the short focal length because I feel it would be a great moon scope as well as a planetary one for photography. Also, I do believe it will actually ride on my cheapie equatorial mount. I have been having trouble with the longer telescopes and the webcam, having a tad too much magnification, so I thought this size would work out nicely.
I tend to get into too big a hurry when I start building stuff. This was no exception. I actually got a lot done in just one day. I got the tube filed down so it fits the objective, cut the tube to rough length, and painted the inside flat black. Here are the 2 pieces. Remember, this is a 5 inch, short tube refractor.
The tube still needs primed and painted on the outside. Being I dont have a machine shop, the end where the objective goes looks a little rough, it looks worse than it is. I'm almost certain that a coat of primer and white paint and the rough filing wont show through.
And yes, it does fit together so far:
I laid this assembly outside on the porch bannister and aimed this across the highway and into a treeline about 1000 feet away and held by hand, a low power eyepiece, and the trees appeared close and sharp. Not a bad first little test.
Of course there will be more pictures and stories as I continue with this project.