As I continue playing with enhancement software, I'm finding I might be bringing out more detail, or perhaps I'm introducing artifacts that were not there before I began playing around with the images. It appears that I have been able to enhance the following image, which I had taken separately from the image previously posted.
Here, I was working with the left photo in Gimp and ended up with the right photo. As you can see, I started with an extremely faint and blurry image. This image is not the same stack I posted previously, but one that I had discovered on the hard drive from a different avi file. I do not know how many frames, etc that this photo is comprised of.
The image on the right has undergone a number of "enhancements", including some unsharp masking, rotation, some brightness/contrast enhancements, some color modification, and not only that, it had a little bit of motion blur on the right edge which I cleaned up by selecting the portion of the planet and color filling around it to eliminate the "ghosting" on the right edge.
Everything seems to look correct from my perspective, however, I do wonder, because of the heavy amount of processing I did on the photo, how much of it is real. One thing I did not do is "draw" in any features. Everything was done with the image as a whole, with the exception of cleaning up the blur which I spoke of earlier.