clear sky chart

Job 9:9

Job 9:9-10
9 He is the Maker of the Bear and Orion,
the Pleiades and the constellations of the south.
10 He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed,
miracles that cannot be counted.
NIV

Sunday, September 25, 2011

6 Inch Dob

I picked up a 6 inch dob at a government auction real cheap - $22
It is a Meade Starfinder.  Not a super quality scope, but... the optics appear to be pretty decent.  The views in the eyepiece seem decent, there is some coma because I know I dont have the collimation down perfect yet.  I did a rough collimation, but I think the secondary is off a little.  I did photograph Jupiter however, it was variably cloudy tonight, but there were periods of decent viewing.  Here is what I got:




Not my best images, but keep in mind this is a dob, so its totally manual with no clock drive.  I imaged without a barlow, focal length is about 1200mm.  It is a 6", f/8 scope.   The red spot is rising in these images.

One more image where I captured 3 moons...

Notice the moons are nice and round, and quite bright.

I also think part of the problem is I think theres a setting in the camera thats off a bit.  Maybe I should turn up the gamma a little, as these are way too "contrasty".  I apparently did not have much saturation, there is very little color.  I do believe this scope shows some promise however.  I posted these images as a reference to compare to once I do more work on the scope.

0 comments:

Post a Comment