clear sky chart

Job 9:9

Job 9:9-10
9 He is the Maker of the Bear and Orion,
the Pleiades and the constellations of the south.
10 He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed,
miracles that cannot be counted.
NIV

Monday, September 12, 2011

Another Shadow Transit of Io (By Luck) 9/11/11

We had a clear night for a change, its been a long time... so I thought I would image the full moon.  After taking some lunar images, I noticed Jupiter rising, so I thought I'd take a couple AVI's of Jupiter as well, and was able to capture by chance another shadow transit of Io.





The middle one seems to be the best.  Notice this time how round the shadow is in this set.    Approximate photo time 0306Z CM I: 152;  II: 296;  III: 233.5  Io is very near the disk on the left, Ganymede is on the far right.

Each photo consists of about 500 stacked frames.  While shooting the AVI, I could see the shadow faintly on the screen.

Looking at the disk, there is not an overly great amount of detail.  I was using a light yellow filter during this set of images.  The southern belt has a large light area just right of center.  The Northern belt looks rather busy in the 2nd image.  The large red spot in the northern belt is quite prominent.  Going farther north, there are 2 more belts resolved.

Seeing did not appear bad, transparency was decent.  The lack of detail may have been due to the yellow filter.  I thought I would try it to help eliminate the color fringe on the short refractor, which it did do.  I should try the light green filter next time, as it is supposed to enhance detail in the white areas.

0 comments:

Post a Comment