clear sky chart

Job 9:9

Job 9:9-10
9 He is the Maker of the Bear and Orion,
the Pleiades and the constellations of the south.
10 He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed,
miracles that cannot be counted.
NIV

Monday, August 29, 2011

Shadow Transit of Europa

Since I was never able to capture a shadow transit as of yet, I happened to notice that one was going to happen around 4:30 local time, so I got up to try to capture the event.  When I went out with the scope and saw a heavy haze of thin cloud cover, I wasnt sure I would capture it.  The images of Jupiter arent real good - some are better than others, but I was able to capture both the moon and the shadow it projected on the planet's surface.

I am going to include some of the better images.  Remember, I'm shooting thru poorly transparent sky - about a 2/10.  The first image is a map of the system.





Here I labelled the major features.  The shadow is from Europa, so you can see, the sun is shining on the planet from the left.  The shadow follows the Great Red Spot and is to the left of it.






The following images show various images I've taken, again with emphasis on the shadow of Europa on the disk.



The last image appears to have a white spot between the redspot and the shadow.  I dont believe there is an actual formation, but an illusion caused by the shape of the small white area between the red spot and the shadow.  The shadow is actually traveling faster than the planet is spinning and will most likely overtake the GRS.

I would also comment that it's too bad actually that the clouds had moved in, the sky was nice and transparent when I went to bed, but I knew they were coming.  It was a crap shoot really, and I wasnt sure I would be able to get anything, but I got up anyway and was somewhat surprised as to what I got.

I also added a 2nd baffle in the scope, and in doing so, I noticed that the one I had, the hole in the center was too small, I had effectively stopped down the thing to about 90mm.  Of course I had fixed that when I found it.  I was hoping for better skies so I could test these changes.  Considering the amount of detail I did capture, I'm sure it is an improvement, but I wont know for sure until we get a clear night.

0 comments:

Post a Comment