I think I'm starting to get the hang of this. I used some Gaussian blur to get rid of some noise on the dim edges of the nebula, and the HDR functions in photoshop does some nice work on the colors. I do notice some chromatic aberration occurring with this low end camera lens.
I also photographed the area around Alintak, and was able to capture the Flame Nebula, and I did capture the horsehead. Neither came out well, but I do know now that its possible with the unmodified camera. Trouble is, processing that image is proving to be rather difficult, being I didnt get enough good frames to make them bright enough, so theyre quite noisy. I only was able to use 6 - 90 second frames, as it was getting breezy out, and many of the frames I had taken were blurry.
Actually, this didnt come out too bad, considering I used only 6 frames. if you look closely, you can see a hint of the Horsehead below the bright star. The red nebulosity is beginning to show up, but it is quite dim. Remember also, this was taken durring a gibbous moon. There isnt any detail whatsoever in the horsehead, as the area is about 50% noise. Longer imaging time should produce an image. This is a smaller nebula than I expected also, so I may not be able to get a good image of this until I figure out how I'm going to achieve focus with the Canon on the telescope. I will probably have to cut the tube and move the mirror forward.