clear sky chart

Job 9:9

Job 9:9-10
9 He is the Maker of the Bear and Orion,
the Pleiades and the constellations of the south.
10 He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed,
miracles that cannot be counted.
NIV

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Jupiter With Well Adjusted Optics

I spent some more time adjusting the optics on the 6 inch dob tonight, and I think I got things a bit better.  I took a series of avi's, and was astounded with what I ended up with.  Seeing appeared to be quite good so long as I was not near the open end of the scope.  The temperature was about 20F (-7c), so any heat source near the scope messed things up.

I'm going to show you a few images of Jupiter that I took this evening.  Most consist of 1200 frame AVI's.

The bright spot on the left is Io's disk transiting the planet.  This was the first image I took.  As you can see, the detail is already better than anything I've done so far.  This was taken at 0110z on 12/29

Io's disk is moving more towards the center.  It is quite bright in these 2 images..  You can also see the wake behind the GRS in both images.  I just missed capturing the GRS.  This was taken at 0135z

The transit of Io is progressing even more towards the  meridian.  As you can see, the detail is still quite good.  This image was taken at 0145z

I believe this to be the best image of the evening.  For this image, I used the 3X barlow.  All of the others used the 2X.   This image was taken at 0151z

One more image I took, but clouds started moving in, and the brightness was constantly varying.  The detail on this last image is not so good because of the cloud cover, but I still wanted to capture the shadow of Io as it appeared on the disk.
The shadow is quite well resolved, but the disk of the moon is not visible.  The image is washed out some due to the clouds.  This final image was taken at 0235z.



0 comments:

Post a Comment