clear sky chart

Job 9:9

Job 9:9-10
9 He is the Maker of the Bear and Orion,
the Pleiades and the constellations of the south.
10 He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed,
miracles that cannot be counted.
NIV

Sunday, November 20, 2011

Poncet Platform

Because my main interest in astronomy is in photographing the planets, and I am having some success with the dobsonain, I thought I would build a Ponset platform.  I found this device online, and they are not too difficult to make.  Basically, it is a small platform that you sit your dob on which tracks the sky for about an hour or maybe hour and a half.  The design is too complex to do a complete description in a simple blog post, but a nice writeup is here -->  http://homepage.ntlworld.com/molyned/the_equatorial_platform.htm

I dont fully understand all of the math involved, but they have to be designed for your lattitude, there is an Excel spreadsheet file here --> http://members.ziggo.nl/jhm.vangastel/Astronomy/Poncet/platform.xls

I have not yet had the opportunity to test the mount, but the next clear night I will post photos of the results.






0 comments:

Post a Comment