clear sky chart

Job 9:9

Job 9:9-10
9 He is the Maker of the Bear and Orion,
the Pleiades and the constellations of the south.
10 He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed,
miracles that cannot be counted.
NIV

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Saturn With Very Good Conditions

I had some time this evening to photograph Saturn and play with the settings.  Everything was taken using the 3X barlow and the 127mm scope.  Seeing was excellent, and the transparency was just as good.  I'm going to overdo it a little tonight, as I captured 10 AVI's and they ALL came out VERY nice.  I used different levels of digital zoom in the camera, and it didnt seem to matter how much I used.

Most of these images, I used 1/30 sec exposure, 10 FPS, 0 gamma and juse enough CCD gain to get a decent image (about 1/4 the way up).

Also I took some in greyscale, which I'll post first.




These show a fair amount of detail, and as you can see they all show the Cassini Division.

Now here are a few with the color turned on:






As you can see, these images are far superior to the others I took the other day.  I spent more time getting the focus perfect.  They all show varying degrees of detail, and again, all show the Cassini Division to some extent.

I really should buy a blue filter so I can experiment with RGB combining in photoshop.  I still havent got the hang of that.  When Jupiter comes up to the point where I can work with it at night, I'll try photographing it with different color filters and see what happens.

Anyway, I'm really happy with this batch of pictures.  Either I'm getting better or conditions were really good tonight and with the addition of that new barlow, I think my imaging will get better still.

3 comments:

Howard said...

A result to be proud of! That home-brew kit you have there does pretty well.

Mike H - KD0AR said...

Thank's Howard.

Mike H - KD0AR said...

That 2nd monochrome image is incredible. I am going to have to try doing an RGB shot using filters. The quickcam definitely has much higher resolution in greyscale than in color.

Post a Comment