clear sky chart

Job 9:9

Job 9:9-10
9 He is the Maker of the Bear and Orion,
the Pleiades and the constellations of the south.
10 He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed,
miracles that cannot be counted.
NIV

Saturday, May 21, 2011

Saturn 5/20/11

Had a nice warm, clear night tonight, so I decided to play with this camera a little and figure out the optimum settings.  Took a few pictures that I thought were worthwhile.  One of the images, I ran the gain up and lowered the shutter speed to 1/5 second and was able to capture 4 of Saturn's moons...The 5th is touching the ring, so it really cant be seen in this image.  All photos are shown actual upload size.  (clicking on the images will not be resized).  Some images were enlarged in Registax.  All images were taken with the 127mm.  Also, I used the IR blocking filter on all of the images.

From left to right, the moons are Titan, Tethys then Saturn, on the other side, Dione and Rhea is the outermost on the right.

This image is a mosaic, as I had to severely over-expose the planet in order to get all 4 moons.  The image was taken at 0305 UTC.

Some of the better images taken tonight are here:

 This is probably the best image as far as showing the Cassini Division.

This is my favorite of the evening. 
  
If I can stay up long enough, I'm going to try to take a couple lunar photos tonight too.  They'll be posted in the morning.

0 comments:

Post a Comment