clear sky chart

Job 9:9

Job 9:9-10
9 He is the Maker of the Bear and Orion,
the Pleiades and the constellations of the south.
10 He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed,
miracles that cannot be counted.
NIV

Monday, May 9, 2011

Rupes Altai & Caucasus and Haemus Mts


Tonight was a reasonably clear evening, and the seeing was pretty good, so I thought I would take a few higher resolution photos of the moon.  I took new pictures of a couple of different areas of the moon that I had taken previously. 


   I was playing with the contrast a little more - as in increasing it, and I found the images are showing far more detail, as in this image of Rupes Altai.  This photo is in color, I liked how it came out so well, I just couldnt discard the color information in this one.






 Here is a mosaic of 2 images showing the 2 mountain ranges that border the shore of Mare Serenatis.  I believe thes images are my best photos of the moon so far.
This image was photographed in greyscale.


I used the 127mm refractor.  Each frame in both images consists of at least 200 frames stacked in Registax 6. This image I used linked wavelets as an experiment.  Although it does sharpen the image a bit more, it is extremely touchy, and a little goes a long way.

As in all of the images on this website, you can click on the image to see them full size.

2 comments:

Stuart White said...

This is a nice image. I agree that linked wavelets are indeed a bit touchy but do seem to yield a nice result.

How do you make your composite images - using PhotoShop?

Stuart White

Mike H - KD0AR said...

I use iMerge to build the mosaics. It automatically blends the edges. I've had good luck with it. There are far more complex mosaics in the "lunar" section, some are better than others, but all were made with iMerge.

Also I just did a wavelet sharpen using Iris on the top image, and got it a degree sharper than what I could get in registax.

Post a Comment