clear sky chart

Job 9:9

Job 9:9-10
9 He is the Maker of the Bear and Orion,
the Pleiades and the constellations of the south.
10 He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed,
miracles that cannot be counted.
NIV

Thursday, May 26, 2011

AstroLinux DVD & Saturn

I downloaded AstroLinux the other day.  It is a Fedora based live DVD.  Being I am a longtime linux user, I thought I would give it a try.  I do not typically use linux on the laptops because it doesnt play nice with the wireless in the laptops.

Anyway, being this is a live cd (It runs directly off of the DVD), I thought I would give the software a try.  I was shocked that the software saw the camera, as that is another area that in the past, linux does not play nice with.  After playing with it a little here in the house, I thought the next clear night, I would give it a try.

We had partly cloudy skies at sundown, so I thought I would try shooting between the clouds.  The software that is included takes a series of snapshots instead of an AVI, which is no problem.  I couldnt figure out quickly how to use the stacker on the CD, so I imported the captured images over to this windows desktop for processing.  I will play with the linux software more and will eventually figure out how to use the software.

I processed 2 series of snapshots.  Keep in mind, I was shooting between clouds and was in a hurry, so the focus wasnt perfect, but its close.  I will say, this software looks very promising.

Here are the images:


 captured in Linux

This was a test, running AstroLinux DVD.  Each images is a composite of 100 frames stacked in Registax.

Now on a different subject, notice the facebook app on the side of the page.  I created a Facebook fan page,  and for those who use Facebook, you are invited to "Like" the page, and once you do, you're welcome to post some of your images for all to see.  I'm hoping to see the fan page grow, so if you're a Facebook user, feel free to click the "Like button.  See you there!

Also, stay tuned to this blog page, I am working on an RSS feed from Facebook to a seperate page in this blog.  Any images or text posted in the fan page will eventually be posted in a "Friends" page here on this blog site. 



0 comments:

Post a Comment