clear sky chart

Job 9:9

Job 9:9-10
9 He is the Maker of the Bear and Orion,
the Pleiades and the constellations of the south.
10 He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed,
miracles that cannot be counted.
NIV

Friday, March 23, 2012

SN-2012AW Supernova in M95

A supernova occurred on 3/16 in M95.  I was going to image M95 a few days ago, but decided against it.  However, after learning about the supernova, I thought I'd give it a shot.  This galaxy is 38 million light years away, so this is the farthest object that I've attempted so far.  It is little, so I used a 3X drizzle.  The noise in the image is coming from Mars, which is about 1 degree away from the galaxy.  The processing job was quick.  I will put another post up with an unprocessed frame, provided the star is visible in the frame.  According to what I've read, the supernova is at magnitude 13 or thereabouts.

Here is the image.  First the raw picture.


Now here is the same image with the supernova labeled.

I will be photographing this object on occasion to keep track of the brightness of this supernova.

Not only is this the farthest, but it is also the first barred spiral that I have photographed.

15 frames, 3X drizzle.  iso 400, 4 min subs.  6" f/5 newtonian.  Canon T3.

0 comments:

Post a Comment