clear sky chart

Job 9:9

Job 9:9-10
9 He is the Maker of the Bear and Orion,
the Pleiades and the constellations of the south.
10 He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed,
miracles that cannot be counted.
NIV

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Pleiades

Well, I bought a new digital camera yesterday, and thought I would take advantage of some clear skies tonight.  I rested the GE X15 on the roof of the car and pointed it straight up and took a 10 second iso 1600 shot and managed to capture the Pleiades quite by accident.


There was a goodly amount of noise in the image, and I havent yet figured out how to filter that out using dark frames, etc., so the only processing I did was some brightness/contrast in Gimp.  I'm sure the image would be far better once I figure out how to filter out the noise.


Click on the image, and you'll see the nebulosity quite a bit better.


This is my first attempt at a "deep sky" photo.  I have taken some random star field shots that came out quite good, such as this one:
I dont believe I captured anything really interesting in this one, but the stars, some of them you cannot see visually, so I think this camera will be a useful tool in astrophotography.

0 comments:

Post a Comment